What is it?
Beta-alanine is the building block of carnosine, a molecule that helps buffer acid in muscles, increasing physical performance in the range of 60-240 seconds. Beta-alanine can aid lean-mass gain. Carnosine appears to be an antioxidant and anti-aging compound.
What does it do?
Beta-alanine has been shown to enhance muscular endurance. Beta-alanine supplementation can also improve moderate- to high-intensity cardiovascular exercise performance, like rowing or sprinting.
Additional Reading and References:
- β-alanine supplementation to improve exercise capacity and performance: a systematic review and meta-analysis | British Journal of Sports Medicine
- Effects of beta-alanine supplementation on performance and muscle fatigue in athletes and non-athletes of different sports: a systematic review. - PubMed - NCBI
- International society of sports nutrition position stand: Beta-Alanine. - PubMed - NCBI
- Additive Benefits of -Alanine Supplementation and Sprint-Interval Training
- The effects of muscular exercise on glucose, free fatty acids, alanine and lactate in type I diabetic subjects in relation to metabolic control - Springer
- β-Alanine Supplementation Improves Throwing Velocities in Repeated Sprint Ability and 200-m Swimming Performance in Young Water Polo Players
- Effects of 28-Day Beta-Alanine Supplementation on Isokinetic Exercise Performance and Body Composition in Female Masters Athletes
- Improving beta-alanine supplementation strategy to enhance exercise performance in athletes
- Beta-alanine supplementation enhances judo-related performance in highly-trained athletes
- Twenty-four Weeks β-alanine Supplementation on Carnosine Content, Related Genes, and Exercise